sábado, 25 de junio de 2011

Major Scales



This time I want to put some light in all that mess about scales. In most of the pages I have visited they recommend to memorize the different positions on the fretboard. I have found easier to memorize the inner pattern of the scale.

The major scale ( or Ionian Scale) comes from the scale C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C and that means that follows the pattern 1 tone, 1 tone, ½ tone, 1 tone, 1 tone, 1 tone, ½ tone. In the guitar fretboard ½ tone is one fret and obviously one tone = two frets. If you want to play in G Major Scale you only need to step on that pattern beginning in G, that is G, A, B, C, D, M, F#, G.

Let's see this on a symbolic guitar fretboard. The red frets correspond to the root note, G. And if you avoid the green frets you are playing in G Pentatonic scale. Isn't it easy?



For any other key, let's say D, we need to move the pattern to the root.



Finally, I want to add the major scale for every key. The first column is the name of the scale degrees. The second column the scale chord triad.
Later on I will introduce (and learn at the same time) some concepts about chord progression. Keep practicing and have fun.


Try my new program GuitarChorder 1.1 that helps to build chord progressions and displays major and minor scales.


Sorry for my bad English.
Still learning!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario